Oftentimes we find ourselves so caught up with everyday routines; working, taking care of the family, making sure dinner is cooked and all of the other day to day chores. We have all these things that we want to do in our homes to create the home style we’d love, but they all tend to be pushed aside for more important things.
Having a style for your home is an extension of who you are. Just as having quality clothing gives you a feeling of confidence and sophistication, the same holds true for your home. Finding your home style and making a conscious effort to give life to that style is the beginning to creating the perfect oasis for you and your family to enjoy.
Quick and easy 8 tips to create your home style that makes you feel like you’re on a retreat every day.
This post contains affiliate links. See disclosure here.
- Know your style. Do a little research and see if your style is more contemporary, modern, French country, eclectic, shabby chic, etc.
- Write down your vision for each room of your house. Each room should have its own personality. Try to avoid using the same themes throughout the house.
- It is very important to set a budget and stick to that budget. This way you become creative with finding pieces that you normally wouldn’t think about if there wasn’t a budget.
- Take on one room at a time so that you won’t become overwhelmed. Yes it is a process, but once you complete it, it’s well worth the wait!
- Shop around for that one piece that inspires you and design the room around that. It could be a picture, a piece of fabric, chair, etc. You will know the right piece because you will feel that it’s right!
- The quickest and easiest way to give new life to a room is by painting. Finding a soothing paint color changes the entire room instantly. Take inspiration from your favorite resort or hotel. You can even take your favorite piece of clothing to a home improvement store and they can create the perfect color for you!
- Put most of your budget towards the big pieces. Just like your wardrobe, you have your basic pieces of clothing and then you can layer from there. Apply that same logic to your home. Buy the basic pieces and build on from there. For example, for your bedroom, spend the bulk of the money on the bed, dresser, etc. You can change accessories, but it’s too expensive to change furnishings from year to year.
- Keep checking with your favorite stores for new arrivals. Step outside of your comfort zone a little and check out stores that you normally wouldn’t visit. You will be surprised at the deals you will find.
After a long hard day, it’s great to come home to your safe haven. It gives you a sense of pride that you created this incredible space that you and your family get to live in! Don’t feel intimidated; give your home that style and personality it deserves!
What do you like most about your home?
Scottie Bell is an Accountant by day but enjoys decorating as a hobby. Although finances is her first love, creating warm and inviting spaces brings her much pleasure. It’s a great way to spend quality time with her husband, family and friends.
You May Also Like: